Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Racing into the Top Five

Hey ya'll...Bubba here back from St. Louis and getting ready to head to Loudon, New Hampshire. First let’s wrap up St. Louis. Gateway has never been a favorite, but I was sure things would turn around when Colin put the No. 6 truck on the pole. Things were looking promising for another top-three finish until a late race spin by Colin and then a wreck with Todd Bodine and Matt Crafton that we were innocently caught up in. Chassis No. 55 took a beating, as well as Colin. Our driver was hit right in the driver's door, but thanks to NASCAR's safety innovations, he was not hurt. Believe it or not, Colin told me today that this hit felt harder than the Atlanta wreck, which surprised me quite a bit. Thankfully he is okay and now we must move on to Loudon.

I always dread these next two weeks, because for me it means a lot of time away from my family. We travel to Loudon this week, and then must be in Las Vegas the following week. These two tracks are about as far away from each other as you can get. I spent most of today getting all the Loudon parts and pieces together, as well as making a separate cart for all my Vegas parts and pieces. By doing this in advance, it really helps speed up the turnaround time. I will also depend a lot on my crew guys to help get things swapped out while I am taking my 34-hour reset. It’s something that takes a lot of thought and planning every year, but we always manage to make it go smoothly. We are racing chassis No. 39 this week. Hopefully we can transfer some of our recent flat track luck to this truck as well. We are really trying hard to get Colin into the top five in driver's points. We can see it’s within our grasp, now we just need to dig in and get there.

Now on to some reader comments. To answer the first question...I spend most of my driving time listening to Sirius radio. I can always find a channel that fits the mood I'm in, plus I love the fact that there are no commercials. My favorite channels are No. 60, which is a country channel, and No. 9 which is a 90s music channel. Plus, it’s always nice to able to listen to the races while I'm traveling on the NASCAR channel. To answer the second question...the race trailer I haul is a Featherlite. Their factory is in Cresco, Iowa, and I have had the privilege of going there twice to pick up new trailers. Although it’s in the middle of nowhere, they have quite a nice operation.

Because of our quick turnaround this week, I will do my best to get a Loudon blog to everyone. Hopefully I'll find a little bit of time to catch up. If not, maybe I'll do it while I'm on the road. In case I don't talk to you next week, I will definitely catch everybody up after the Vegas trip.


Stay safe...
Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colin's Fan Page

Read Colin's diary, participate in fan forums, download the official Roush Fenway iTunes mix and more.

Join Now

Confidence in Motion

For more than 25 years, Con-way Freight has delivered superior less-than-truckload (LTL) performance, comprehensive coverage and service excellence from our network of more than 365 operating locations across North America.

Learn More

Facebook Twitter RSS