Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pre-California

Howdy... Bubba here! Race number one is finally behind us. After qualifying on the pole, Colin ran to a ninth-place finish. Daytona week for me is always one of the hardest. Getting used to new people in new roles for the trucks always seems to throw a wrench in your plans. Overall the week went very good. Some of the things you would have seen me doing at Daytona would be keeping the cooler full, tidying up the trailer, helping the guys work on the race truck, among other things. I wound up cooking five meals while we were down there, and had zero complaints! Yay!

Since I also go over the wall, the new pit rules were a little confusing... a little hard to follow, but all in all made my job easier. Now when I fuel the truck, it’s gas only... no tire changers... no other jobs being performed. After a short weekend at home with Julie and Zach, Monday it was off to California. We had a quick turnaround this week, but thanks to the help from my crew guys, everything was swapped out and ready to go to California. I really appreciate their help, especially on the days when I am trying to get my 34-hour reset done. For all the non-truck-driving people, this means I am resetting my working hours for the week, by taking 34 hours off. California should be a good race for us. It's a two-mile oval, and last year we finished in the top 10.

Right now, I am lying in my bunk and I believe we just crossed the Arizona state line. Thanks to my lovely wife, I am able to call in this blog, while she types it. And thanks to my co-driver, I can get some rest after a long day driving through Texas. We should get into California around 5am east coast time, so I better get some rest. Tomorrow will be a long day of cleaning the truck and grocery shopping. I still haven't decided what this week's menu is gonna be... maybe it will come to me in my dreams.

Stay safe...
Bubba

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colin's Fan Page

Read Colin's diary, participate in fan forums, download the official Roush Fenway iTunes mix and more.

Join Now

Confidence in Motion

For more than 25 years, Con-way Freight has delivered superior less-than-truckload (LTL) performance, comprehensive coverage and service excellence from our network of more than 365 operating locations across North America.

Learn More

Facebook Twitter RSS